Applicants for the research fellowship are scientists and scholars from all disciplines with excellent qualifications from Brazil. The funding is designed to support post-doctoral researchers at the beginning of their academic careers as well as experienced researchers who have obtained a doctorate less than 12 years ago. The programme offers candidates the opportunity to select a long-term research project and realise it in cooperation with an academic host of their choice at a research institution in Germany. Post-doctoral students receive a monthly sum of EUR 2,600, experienced researchers of EUR 3,100. In addition, there are supplementary benefits for both groups. The funding period ranges from six to 24 months for post-doctoral students and from six to 18 months for experienced researchers. The Capes-Humboldt Research Fellowship Programme is a joint fellowship programme of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation and the Brazilian research funding organisation Capes (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior). Applications shall be submitted online to either Capes or the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
- post-doctoral students: Applicants are typically researchers with excellent qualifications from Brazil, who are at the beginning of their academic careers and have obtained their doctorate less than four years ago.
- experienced researchers: Eligible candidates are academics with excellent qualifications from Brazil, who already have research experience and have earned their doctorate less than 12 years ago.
- post-doctoral students: six to 24 months
- experienced researchers: six to 18 months
- post-doctoral students: The fellowship amounts to EUR 2,600 per month. In addition, funding includes a grant to health insurance, a start-up lump sum and an allowance for the fellow’s travel from and to Brazil. Furthermore, a monthly mobility allowance of EUR 100 is paid.
- experienced researchers: The fellowship amounts to EUR 3,100 per month. In addition, funding includes a grant to health insurance, a start-up lump sum and an allowance for the fellow’s travel from and to Brazil. Moreover, a monthly mobility allowance of EUR 100 is paid.
Further benefits for both groups:
- research allowance
- language course grant
- allowances for accompanying family members
- allowances for accompanying children under the age of 18 for single-parent fellows
- option to extend the fellowship of up to 12 months for fellows with children under the age of 12
- Europe allowance
- extensive alumni support
Please find the application forms and further information on the application procedure on the Capes website.